Monday, August 8, 2011

Vegan-ese

Sounds like a foreign language, no?  that's what I feel like right now lol

I am officially starting my "clean eating" life today.  I visited the whole foods market on 1300 E in SLC and wandered around in awe for nearly an hour.

My husband and I (not so much my husband, but he's gonna try) have decided to try this new diet lifestyle that doesn't include meat or dairy products.  Also, soda is getting the boot.


Bear Lake this past weekend was the final hurrah for the two of us and we are on a get healthy kick.  Scotty needs to get in shape for the AF before school starts and I just want my physical sanity back.

I know what you're thinking.  lots of talk, right?  Right.  Well, it IS a lot of talk and I'm seriously wanting to try this out!  I've been reading up on this new lifestyle online and in THIS BOOK and if the health benefits are anywhere near what they say they are, count me in.  If i feel as amazing as they say I will in 4 weeks, I think it is worth a try.  I am SO OVER this mono junk and want nothing more than to have my energy and body back!  Yes I said it.  I want my pre-mono body back.  The body I could go on a 5 mile run in.  The body I could swim a couple miles in.  The body before the mono. 

Now before y'all get all hotsy-totsy on me about calories and the food pyramid and whatnot, take a chill pill.  I KNOW that creating a deficit of calories in your diet is how weight loss works.  I know I need protein and calcium.  I'm not new to any of this 'weight loss' research and I was an athlete my entire life...including 1.5 years of college where I had a nutritionist and like 3 trainers and coaches at my disposal.  I get it.  This is a decision I am making for me and something I want to TRY after I have compiled and reviewed all my research....and its not all about the weight loss, that's just a plus to the whole process.

TANGENT: I should mention we aren't jumping in to all of this cold-turkey.  We are basically right now cutting out the red meat.  As soon as all of the soda in our apt. is gone, we will be done with soda.  I think that's the best way to do this: one step at a time.  As things in our kitchen run out, I'm going to replace them with an alternative, healthier, less processed version.  I'm also looking into a CSA.  Anybody have any experience with one?  I like the idea of getting a lot of fresh, local fruits and veggies each week.  THIS is the one I'm looking into, although I think we may try THIS one first (mostly b/c of the price difference).

Something interesting I would like to point out (not to be in your face, but just because I find it interesting) is the following scripture:

D&C 89:12-13 (paying special emphasis to v. 13 since all of  y'all know about v. 12)

12Yea, aflesh also of bbeasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used csparingly;

 13And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be aused, only in times of winter, or of cold, or bfamine.

I just feel a little bit justified in my decision/research to try this new diet/lifestyle after reading this.  The scriptures are for you to interpret how you will, but I never really read v. 13 until I was considering a meat-free lifestyle.   THIS is another book I'm intrigued to read.

Since the hubs is no longer working all night long, we are going to start going to a yoga class together.  On the nights we don't have yoga, we will be going to a spinning class (yikes!)  ... just cut my legs/butt off now!  I like this whole being able to spend time with your spouse thing....good idea me thinks.

I hope I haven't freaked too many of you out with my post.  Don't judge us too harshly until I have a basis to judge ourselves with please :) 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Good for you. I need to get healthy too, but I'm not in "that place" mentally yet to make a big change like you guys obviously are!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

    ReplyDelete