- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package Devil’s food cake mix (calls for extra water, eggs, and vegetable oil)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), or to the temperature recommended on the cake mix package.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package directions, plus the sour cream and vanilla; but do not bake. In separate bowl cream together cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until well blended.
- Line cupcake tins (or cake pan) with cupcake papers. Fill 2/3 full with chocolate cake batter. Add 1 teaspoon cream cheese mixture to the center, and top with more cake batter. ****See note below****
- Bake according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting (below).
Frosting (I halved this recipe....it makes A LOT of frosting if you don’t):
2, 8-oz packages of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Cream together butter and cream cheese
mix in vanilla
gradually add sugar
****Note: For the cake I made on sunday, I used part of the cream cheese frosting for one layer of filling, topped it with cake batter, added a chocolate cream cheese frosting layer (made by adding cocoa powder to taste), topped by the remaining cake batter.