Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Toilet Bowl Syndrome...

This is a term coined by my mother; and in case you have no idea what I am talking about, here is the TMI explanation: toilet bowl syndrome occurs when you have been working out and are TOO sore to sit on the toilet or get up from it.  You really have no choice but to continue with what you need to do, so you just experience EXCRUCIATING pain!  All you swimmers know exactly what I'm talking about.





I have not been this sore since my BYU swimming days!

can you find me? (hint: I'm next to a very blond person)
 

I have a bittersweet relationship with my body's soreness right now.
Last week I wanted to cry every time I sneezed bc my abs hurt so bad!

and guess who is responsible for all this???

My brother-in-law and my sister-in-law (no, not me!  I could NEVER have done this to myself lol)

Christian and Marci opened up a new gym in Saratoga Springs and I have now gone 3 times.  1: intro class that didn't feel so bad until the next day when I woke up being able to feel EVERY SINGLE MUSCLE IN MY TORSO. 2: OnRamp 1 where I did more squats than I ever want to think about ever again. 3: OnRamp 2 where I thought we wouldn't be doing any more squats, but guess what? we did.

I have 2 more classes to go this week and so far I have technically survived :)

As much as it hurts, I LOVE it.  I am getting more of a workout in 10-20 minutes than I was giving myself in an hour on my own!  Also, all the other people who are there dying with you are super nice and super supportive.  You can be competitive if you want, but it is mostly you pushing yourself as much as you think you need to.

CrossFit reminds me A LOT of dry land workouts from the swim team days.  For this reason, I can NOT wait for Scotty to be recovered from his surgery.  I know he is going to fall in love with CrossFit and it will be a great way for him to get in shape for AFROTC this next year.

Speaking of Scotty's recovery, guess what? Scotty had jaw surgery!

Scotty developed an underbite as his jaw grew, so we had been trying to fix it with braces, but they just weren't cutting it; so two weeks ago (May 7) the doc cut his upper jaw, moved it forward 7mm and put some metal plates in there to hold it all together.  Crazy, right?!  He spent 1.5 days/1night in the hospital and is on a liquid diet for 6 weeks (4 more to go!).  He can't lift more than 10 lbs right now and isn't allowed to go running or do anything too physical.

Here are some photos of the journey so far:

Pre-surgery.  Playing with the temperature-control for his hospital gown.
Did you know they had those??!  super cool.
post-surgery.  Probably wondering what the crap he got himself into at this point

Obi got to come visit! The nurses were so nice about it
and Scotty couldn't have been happier to see him!


Russell!  Thanks dad :)

heading home!!! Check out the awesome balloon from Britt!
It's still floating in our living room right now!

1 comment:

  1. yeah swim team. There were times I was so sore from it that looking at a flight of stairs sent me to tears.

    ReplyDelete